The roots of JD Food go back to 1954 when Louis James Maxey (Jim) started a meat processing company in Fresno, California. During the early years Jim sold to retail stores, caterers, foodservice operators and hospitals. The company became a well-known supplier to the best restaurants in town because of its top quality products and exceptional service.
As the company continued to grow, the Maxey family was instrumental in developing other companies that would allow complete vertical control from the farm to the table, becoming a nationally recognized purveyor of high quality meat products. One of those companies was J&D Meat Company (J&D stands for Jimmy & Deana Maxey).
In 1980, Ken Ford became a partner in J&D Meat Company. At that time J&D began focusing their sales efforts towards Hotels, Restaurants and Institutions (HRI). The company grew aggressively during the 1980s and began to compete effectively with national foodservice companies. During this time the company changed its name to J&D FoodService to better reflect its sales strategy. After all, J&D was now distributing over 5000 different products. Together, the Maxey and Ford families have directed J&D into becoming one of the most recognizable food companies on the west coast.
Today, we have changed our name again. We are now simply JD Food. The growth of this decade has brought on a new segment in retail stores. JD Food now distributes to every type of food establishment imaginable, from HRI to golf courses and food manufacturers to grocery stores throughout much of California.